Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Two Blankets

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a finished project is one that affords much satisfaction. For me this is particularly true when it comes to weaving a blanket that started off in my house as dirty fleece. I do not, as a rule, process fleece into yarn with any particular project in mind. But when my shelves are full of colourful yarn and a particular idea comes to mind, there's nothing better than to just jump in and create a blanket.


Joel's Blanket

Last fall my nephew, Joel, was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma. There was a huge tumor in his chest causing breathing issues, and Joel needed to begin a cancer treatment that would leave him with all the typical, nasty side effects.  I wanted to do something (don't we all) and decided to weave a blanket for Joel.

Joel, is a very special young man. He has tremendous faith. Joel's witness is that he belongs to the Lord Jesus who died on the cross for him, and that no matter what happens, God is good. 
So I decided to weave a blanket that would tell a story.  A blanket with a straight twill weave, warped and woven off without a set colour sequence. The  colours, however,  would reflect Joel's confession of faith. 

It was December, and the colours of Christmas were everywhere. But for me the Christmas colours of red and green have always been combined with brown and white. So as I wove this blanket I thought of the wonderful work that the Lord Jesus came to do on this earth.
The browns reminds me of the Christmas tree, and the tree, the cross that Jesus died on; the red of the blood that He shed for us at Calvary; the green for the new life we have in Him; and the white of us being washed whiter than snow through the shedding of his blood.



You will be happy to know that Joel's treatment is almost completed and he is doing very well. God IS good! 


Gerald's Blanket

This blanket is a 'just because' blanket for a very dear friend on the other side of Canada. It has no special story and was woven for no special reason except that I just wanted to. So I did.
Again it is woven in a straight twill with no special planning for the colour sequence.
 




Here's 2 ewe, Gerald!

2 comments: